Sarai Amanat Khan
The sarai was built by Amanat Khan in 1640. It is located about 29 kilometres south-east of Amritsar on Tarn Taran Attari road. Amanat khan was the title of Abd al-Haqq Shirazi. It was given to him by Shah Jahan during the year 1632. He was associated with the Mughal court as a royal librarian and master calligrapher. The inscription on the gateway of the tomb of Akbar at Sikandra, Shahi Madrasa Mosque and probably the Chini-ka-Rauza at Agra were also designed by Amanat Khan, but he is best known for his inscriptions on the Taj Mahal. Amanat was the brother of Allami Afzal Khan, the Diwan of Shah Jahan. A near contemporary writer Chandrabhan Brahman informs us that after the death of Afzal Khan on 17 January 1639 , Amanat Khan resigned from his office and gave up his mansab and taking to the corner of retirement, he became a complete recluse. And he constructed at the distance of one stage from Lahore, a heart-pleasing sarai.
Sarai Amanat Khan was also a guest house, where travellers on the Lahore-Agra route on the Grand Trunk Road would stop for rest in the middle of a long strenuous journey. They would live in the small rooms inside the sarai, and pray in the adjacent mosque and large courtyard.
Today, Sarai Amanat Khan is dilapidated — the Nanakshahi bricks are falling off, and the eastern gate is in disarray; some 800 feet below it is Khan’s ruined tomb. The sarai is in the middle of a densely populated village, also named after Amanat Khan. With several shops in its immediate vicinity, the Archaeological Survey of India-protected monument is a site of rampant encroachment. Several families live inside the rooms of the sarai illegally, and claim to have been doing so since Partition.